Monday, January 19, 2009

A Curiously Pointless Film

I finally saw the Curious Case of Benjamin Button and must confess that I wasn't terribly impressed. Beyond the psuedo-philosophical premise, the film offers little, although I must confess that the make-up and effects that showed Brad Pitt appearing in different sizes and ages was remarkable. I had been hoping for a more interesting romp through history, but instead saw a rather vapid love story. (The historical references were evidently culled from a 5th grade history course.) To make matters worse, most of the non-central characters are one-dimensional stereotypes--whether it be the kindly black folk or the drunken Irish sailor (who speaks with an Irish accent though he's lived in the southern U.S. his whole life). You may want to guzzle a few pints o' Guinness before seeing this one.

2 comments:

Omnipotent Poobah said...

It's the movie that Biden and his wife were turned away from just before the inauguration because the theatre was full.

Maybe that was a lucky break.

Karlo said...

I can't ridicule the movie goers too much. I was one of them.